It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 am

Post subject: World of Warcraft: Legion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:28 am 
Heroic Knight

So who's playing the prerelease content as well as xpac in general?

I leveled a DH to 100 last night and woke up early to do the prerelease stuff this AM and I have to say I am still reeling from how much I hate Gul'Dan and the legion after the Shattered Isle intro quests. If this is indicative of what type of content we can expect in this expansion I am super pumped. It's been awhile since i've felt that "same old wow feel" but so far this prerelease event has been phenomenal. If you're on the fence about coming back I would highly suggest giving atleast the Shattered Isle stuff a go and see what you think. If you're into the Lore they are progressing the story nicely (no more dual timeline shit).

Demon Hunter class wise, I am still not sold on the tanking aspect. I've run 2 dungeons so far (1 tank spec, 1 dps spec) and honestly tank spec feels lacking. This is more than likely due to the fact that the skills fill out at 110 instead of 100 so it just feels like there is not much to do other than cleave and build pain. DPS wise, the numbers have been pretty solid, anywhere from 30k-70k depedning on fight/buffs etc.. I might try to Main Tank as DH for legion and shelve my Blood DK but we'll see what the skills look like/feel like post 110.

What have been your guys impressions so far?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: World of Warcraft: Legion
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:10 am 
Knight Errant

I'd write a longer reply, but this is cutting into my WoW time 8-). Flat out, most fun I've had in WoW since Lich King. The invasions are epic and the intro quest was jaw dropping. I just joined a Reddit guild for Legion and have been having a blast with them. Come join me on Stormreaver!

The movie inspired me to read into the lore a bit more, got that Chronicles book and read a few novels. I think that made the whole experience even better. In my 10 years of playing, I don't think I've ever read a quest text until now....man have I missed out.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:42 am 
Heroic Knight

Wykydtron wrote:
In my 10 years of playing, I don't think I've ever read a quest text until now....man have I missed out.

Really!? Back when I played (in Vanilla) I always read the quest texts. They were pretty good. Plus, you had to read them if you wanted to know what the hell you were doing or where you needed to go.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:48 am 
Knight Errant

The good ol days. Yeah man, I used to skim to about 3/4 of the text down, just to find out where I'd have to go. "Go get me 12 lions skins from so and so north of here." I missed out on so much.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:52 am 
Heroic Knight

Wykydtron wrote:
The good ol days. Yeah man, I used to skim to about 3/4 of the text down, just to find out where I'd have to go. "Go get me 12 lions skins from so and so north of here." I missed out on so much.

Yeah, those quest texts had tons of references, fluff and jokes. It really helped tie the world together.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:13 am 
This won't hurt a bit

I played WoW a little bit back near the start... never really had the time to put in to grind to the top levels. I always wished I could play more, but I have even less time now, lol. Glad to hear the game is still doing well after so many years!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:44 am 
Hero

Wykydtron wrote:
The movie inspired me to read into the lore a bit more, got that Chronicles book and read a few novels. I think that made the whole experience even better. In my 10 years of playing, I don't think I've ever read a quest text until now....man have I missed out.

I just finished The Last Guardian, the story of Kadghar and Medivh, and it was amazing. I've never cared this much about the lore of the game until now. The game is so fun now. The feeling of size you get during those invasions, and the feeling of accomplishment when you finish them is exactly what the game was meant to be. It feels like Vanilla all over again.

You can contact me on Darkshard, Instagram or Facebook for any commission work.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:33 pm 
Knight Errant

Fuck it, I'm going for Loremaster achievement. Wish me luck.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:46 pm 
Heroic Knight

Wykydtron wrote:
Fuck it, I'm going for Loremaster achievement. Wish me luck.

Wear this.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 am 
Seasoned Veteran

I've been playing the prerelease stuff and so far the main characters i play feel really gutted. I was used to having 30+ buttons that I actually made use of and now I feel like I'm a lot more useless in certain situations and down to like 10 buttons. I've more or less been a Ret pally main since the end of burning crusade and have endured the ups and downs of the spec because I always had the ability to carry my groups whether it be by saving members with big off heals (that I could spec into now at the loss of something more important) or just being able to take a ton of punishment and live through it. Now I feel like I cant do any of that unless I stop what I'm doing completely. Also need to mention that the dps rotation is a convoluted mess that manages to be insanely complicated for nothing while being way too easy to pull off. It's a kinda back and forth of a build up rotation and then a power dump rotation that is extremely repetitive and unrewarding. Not like the old days of enormous burst damage. Warrior was my next go to and fury is decent as it is but I mainly tanked and did arms pvp on him. havent tried arms yet but tanking is just weird now. Build rage with abilities that used to cost rage and spend rage on defensive shields or something to buff shield slam... IDK they kinda ruined what I enjoyed about my favorite class specs.

TL;DR: Stuff I loved playing feels really gutted and without utility.

Onto the positives! The invasions are amazing for leveling though they arent without issues. I'm pretty sure the scaling isnt working for everything, meaning you kinda just die automatically from certain mechanics. The bosses give huge xp though and I pretty much leveled my mage from 87 to 100 in 2 days, 1 set of invasions was good for 1.5 to 2 levels and took maybe 30-40 minutes. The only issue with it is you need to be alive when the bosses die to get the xp and to get xp you cant be in a raid... which means no heals. Which can be rough for a lot of classes but you can manage. :P

The scenario on the isle kinda surprised me... okay it surprised me A LOT. I'm going to talk about it in a bit of detail so i'll mark it as a SPOILER SO DON'T OPEN IT IF YOU PLAN ON DOING IT YOURSELF AND HAVEN'T YET... BECAUSE IT'S PRETTY INTENSE! Or do, I'm not your mom:
Spoiler:
Okay so the first thing you really see that's advancing the story is the whole tirion thing which honestly, I didn't even think about until someone pointed it out the second time i did it. That tends to happen when bigger names get taken out i guess lol. But it leaves you wondering what's going to happen to the argent crusade. I guess they were kinda there to fight off the undead which should technically be a non issue at this point. When I saw that Vol'jin takes a hit I immediately thought: GREAT! More bad news for the Horde. Then Varian... just wrecked my mind. And then Sylvannas as the warchief. Those last 2 points are probably going to be one of the main reasons I actually keep playing this game because they kinda have me hooked with that. It'll be interesting to see if Sylvannas takes the Horde into a direction that turns them into the "villain" with all the Val'kyr stuff she's done. She might become as bad as the Lich King was. And as for the Alliance, Anduin is the Heir to Stormwind so I imagine he takes over but I'm not sure what that might mean.

Also pretty excited to see what the final raid boss is, My guess is Sargeras, and I really hope it is because he's the one guy that I've been waiting for. I had 3 bosses that I always wanted to fight, Arthas(Heroic mode will probably always be my favorite fight), Deathwing (which was disappointing because you just fight his corrupted appendages) and Sargeras. He's supposed to be a giant bright flaming monstrosity of a titan with a shattered sword so I hope that that is the case and that we actually get to fight HIM and not just pieces of him.

The best book I've read about warcraft lore was the War of the Ancients trilogy (I had them all in one book so it counts as one!). Most of what happens in the story is set on the continent that we get to explore (albeit before the great sundering) so I hope to see a lot of references to events in the trilogy. At least it'll be cool to see how I imagined these places looking versus how they look in the game. Also, there better be some references to broxigar or ima be sad!

OfflineProfile