It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:47 am

Post subject: No Man's Sky Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:32 am 
Heroic Knight

So as some of you know, a new space exploration game just launched for PC (has been on ps4 for a week or two now) called No Man's Sky. The premise of the game is quite simple really - to explore. That's it, you're only job in this game is to explore, discover new planets, systems, creatures and flora and upload them into the main galactic database. If you were the first person to discover the species/planet/systems you are able to name them before submitting to the database.

So after having put 12 hours into this game this weekend I think I can safely say that this game is most definitely for me. From the get go you are put on one of millions of possible planets that are proceduraly generated and are tasked with fixing your space ship. I won't go into too many details for fear of spoilers but I will say that the game definitely has a very minecraft-esque feel in the sense that you can go splunking around finding resources, gathering them, crafting upgrades for your ship, exosuit, and tool as well as finding a multitude of new ones.

Once you make it off the starting planet you are given a few options, pursue the Atlas (Story line) or free roam which I believe still interacts in someway with the Atlas (being able to find them around) and of course mapping a path to the center of the galaxy through black holes. I am currently doing the Atlas Storyline which is more of a guidance system then anything.

So back to travel, and the whole planets thing. You are completely free to explore, warp, check out anything in this game you want. Do you think that system 50 jumps away looks awesome? Better start getting resources together for Antimatter to make the trip. I would say one of the best things / feelings about this game is being able to take off from a planet and fly to a new one and land on it "just because". Every planet for the most part is unique although some share the same traits (eg cold, toxic rain, radioactive, intense heat, weather storms, etc..) and the freedom to be able to just pickup and find a new one is AWESOME. Hell you can even go land on a planets moons if you feel like it and explore those. Finding a "good planet" (the term is extremely relative to the person) means you could spend hours on a planet mapping it's outposts, meeting aliens or even learning their language through ancient runes and texts. The game is not just about mining and exploration though, you have a multi-tool that can be upgraded to kill, and kill well.

I think all in all this is a great game for anyone who wants to experience an almost true space travel game. There are some things that you think "hmm that shouldn't be" like how a planet is the same at both poles, the planets themselves offer variation but once on a planet nothing changes much except the layout, no separate biomes or anything like that. At times the game can feel grindy as well when you just want to go somewhere but you dont have the resources to go (this could be chalked up as a positive because I mean, this is space travel after all). Even with some of those minor nuances I definitely think the game is exactly what I was looking for and if the developer can keep adding improvements to the game I think it will keep me hooked for a long time coming.

At the end of the day I think this game appeals to anyone who wants to explore space and look at beautiful landscapes. There are few games I could compare this to, even as I think the closest would be Elite Dangerous mixed with Minecraft but even that doesn't do it justification. My advice would be to research the game for yourself because there is definitely a line between "Like and Not Like" for this game, some games blur that line but for this particular title, the line is polarizing.

Without further ado, here are some of the screenshots i've taken this weekend. Keep in mind there are numerous numerous more but most existed in SNIP form that i was sending to my buddies on FB if I would find a weird creature or awesome planet. (i found a planet of penis-headed monsters).

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: No Man's Sky Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:49 pm 
Heroic Knight

Coo, I might have to check it out.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:39 pm 
Press Ganger

I've had my eye on this one for awhile but with vacation last week and my computer dieing a miserable death upon my return home it will have to wait. :evil:

Seriously bummed out I can't try it.

Starwars Armada

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:09 pm 
Heroic Knight

StreetPizza wrote:
I've had my eye on this one for awhile but with vacation last week and my computer dieing a miserable death upon my return home it will have to wait. :evil:

I'm worried mine is on it's last leg too... Video card crashes with blue screens are not fun.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:16 pm 
Son of Dorn

Honestly. Everything that everyone loves about it I dislike...I am a completionist is in games, I can't leave any stone unturned or any corner left unexplored. This game is just to big for that, also it's exploration the game..and while initially it may be fun I don't think it has the staying power

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:30 pm 
Heroic Knight

Xeurian wrote:
StreetPizza wrote:

I'm worried mine is on it's last leg too... Video card crashes with blue screens are not fun.

Sounds like a heat issue, you use manual controls/check temp ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:55 pm 
Heroic Knight

dreadpirate wrote:
Sounds like a heat issue, you use manual controls/check temp ?

That's what I figured so I popped the side panel off and pointed a fan at it. I don't use manual controls or check temp.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm 
Heroic Knight

Afterburner is pretty solid, can manually set fan speeds and keep an eye on temps.

https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:07 pm 
Heroic Knight

Hazard30 wrote:
Honestly. Everything that everyone loves about it I dislike...I am a completionist is in games, I can't leave any stone unturned or any corner left unexplored. This game is just to big for that, also it's exploration the game..and while initially it may be fun I don't think it has the staying power

Yea definitely not for everyone.

I usually judge a game if it was worth it based on dollar per hour value wise. Once I get around 2-3$/hr I feel like i've gotten my money's worth and I can definitely see myself easily logging 20-40hrs minimum.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 pm 
Press Ganger

20-40 ... PISHAW I say ... PISHAW!!!

That's nowhere near the hundreds of hours I've logged on Total War: Warhammer. You need to catch up son.

Starwars Armada

OfflineProfile